11 Courthouse Drive, Leonardtown, MD 20650
Phone: 301-475-2467 • www.stmaryshistory.org
Built in 1858 and in use until 1942, the granite block and brick structure retains its original upstairs cells where prisoners were once segregated by gender and race. The jail keeper’s quarters downstairs house artifacts that relate county history. A canon from The Ark, one of two ships that first brought colonists to Maryland, and later used to defend St. Mary’s City, is displayed on the grounds. National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom Site. The museum also serves as a county visitor information center.