10390 Theodore Green Boulevard, White Plains, MD 20695
Phone: 301-932-3470 • http://www.charlescountyparks.com
The Indian Head Rail Trail (IHRT) is located just 18 miles south of our Nation’s Capital in Southern Maryland. The trail has a gentle grade that is perfect for trail users of all skill levels. From the town of Indian Head, the trail quickly transitions into a very unique natural outdoor experience with surroundings of mature forests, natural wetlands, and farmland. The trail continues for 13 miles ending on Theodore Green Boulevard in White Plains.
Along the IHRT there are interpretive signs that highlight various natural habitat areas and wildlife species, giving visitors the opportunity to view beaver dames, bald eagles, wild turkey, white tail deer, and herons. This multi-use trail provides walkers, runners and cyclists a serene place to enjoy recreation away from the congestion of traffic.
- A paved 13 mile long, ten foot wide path
- Wildlife viewing areas
- Restroom facilities
- Pavilions and benches
- Interpretive signs
- Mile markers
- Drinking fountains at trail heads
- Keep to the right of the trail except when passing
- Move off the trail when stopped
- Cyclists (should give an audible “on your left” warning when passing
- Ride/walk single file during busy periods
- Dogs must be kept of 6 foot non-retractable leash
- Familiarize yourself with all trail rules
- Respect wildlife by keeping a distance and limiting your stay
- Obey all traffic signs, stop at all road crossings and yield to oncoming traffic
- Be aware of your surroundings, know your location on the trail and carry a cell phone
- Respect the rights and privacy of adjacent property owners
Directions to Trail Access Points
Indian Head (Trail Head) – Follow Route 210 south to Indian Head. Parking is located at the Village Green Town Park. T he trail starts at Mattingly Ave about ½ mile from parking area, follow signs.
Route 224 – Follow Route 301 to La Plata and turn onto route 225 west. Travel approximately 9.3 miles and turn right onto Route 224. Parking is about ½ mile on the left. Follow Route 201 to Bryans Road and turn onto route 224 south. Travel approximately 3.8 miles and parking will be on your right. Parking for about 20 cars.
Middletown Road – From Route 301 turn onto Route 227 (Marshalls Corner Road). Travel 1.7 miles and turn right onto Middletown Road. Trail parking is approximately ¼ mile on right. Parking for about 16 cars.
Theodore Green Boulevard (Trail Head) – Follow Route 301 to White Plains, located just south of Waldorf. Turn onto Theodore Green Blvd and trail parking will be located about 3/10 of a mile on the right. Parking for 75+ cars.