12960 Point Lookout Road, Ridge, MD 20680
In 1884, Trinity Church, located in St. Mary’s City, sold a portion of its land to the State and used some of the proceeds to establish a chapel of ease in Ridge for its members who had to travel long distances to services. The stained glass windows installed in 2002 were designed in a “Victorian/Art Nouveau” style. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
16855 Point Lookout Road, St. Mary’s City, MD 20686
Phone: 301-862-4597 • http://www.trinitysmcmd.com/
Originally established in 1638, the first Trinity Church was a wooden structure located on Smith Creek. In 1642, it was moved to St. Mary’s City and in 1694, when the state capital was moved from St. Mary’s City to Annapolis, the local State House served as the church for 134 years. The present-day church was constructed in 1829 using brick salvaged from the original 1676 State House. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
A visit to St. Ignatius, St. Inigoes is often part of Catholic bus tours of heritage sites in Maryland.
St. Ignatius Catholic Church, St. Inigoes is located next to Webster Field an annex of the Patuxent River Naval Air Station.
St. Ignatius Catholic Church is situated on the former St. Indigoes Manor granted to the Jesuits in 1641.
17682 Grayson Road, St. Inigoes, MD 20684
The first chapel of St. Ignatius was built in 1641 in St. Mary’s City. In 1704, the colony’s early policies of religious toleration were abolished and the chapel was closed. The church was dismantled and the bricks taken down river to land owned by the Jesuits. After the American Revolution, in 1785, the present day St. Ignatius Church was built. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Spring is a great time of year to visit St. Andrew’s.
A close-up of the decorative panels of the Ten Commandments and the Lord’s Prayer behind the altar inside St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in Hollywood, St. Mary’s County, MD.
St. Andrew’s is known for its unique architecture
44078 St. Andrews Church Road, California, MD 20619
Phone: 301-862-2247 • http://www.standrewsleonardtown.org/
Built in 1767, the church was designed by William Boulton who crafted the woodwork at nearby Sotterley Plantation. It is an outstanding example of colonial architecture. The church’s brick exterior has an unusual inset portico, a large Palladian window, and two towers. The interior features balconies, and original box pews. A hand-lettered altarpiece, or reredos, was painted in 1771, and is one of three surviving in the country. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
During the War of 1812, the British vandalized the village of Chaptico, doing extensive damage to Christ Church
and desecrating its cemetery.
Christ Episcopal Church
was built in 1736 at the former port village of Chaptico near the Wicomico River, a tributary of the Potomac River in St. Mary’s County.
The lovely stained glass windows in Christ Episcopal Church
were installed during the late 19th and early 20th century by parishioners to honor their deceased loved ones.
23590 Maddox Road, Chaptico, MD 20621
Phone: 301-884-3451 • http://www.cckqp.net/
Built of red brick with Flemish bond and glazed headers, significant interior features include a semi-circular chancel, arched ceiling, crowned columns, and boxed pews. During the War of 1812, the British vandalized the village of Chaptico, doing extensive damage to Christ Church and desecrating its cemetery. Several members of the Francis Scott Key family are buried in the Key Family vault. The church is on the National Register of Historic Places.
is noted for its lovely grounds including numerous large oak trees, several of which are thought to predate the first church building.
The Episcopal parish served by St. George’s Church
was established in 1638. It became part of the William and Mary Parish in 1692 after Lord Baltimore lost control of the Maryland Colony following the 1689 Protestant Revolution.
19167 Poplar Hill Lane, Valley Lee, MD, 20692
Phone: 301-994-0585 • http://www.stgeorgesvalleylee.org/
The first wooden church was built here between 1638 and 1642. The current church built in 1799, is home to the oldest Episcopal Parish in Maryland and has held continuous services on site since 1638. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
21370 Newtowne Neck Road, Leonardtown, MD 20650
Phone: 301-475-9885 • http://www.stfrancisxavierchurch.org/
Built in 1731, St. Francis Xavier Church replaced the original Newtown Chapel (1662). Unusual features include the barrel vault ceiling and two octagonal-shaped brick ends. Also on site is Newtowne Manor (1789) whose Flemish bond brickwork indicates its early construction. The church and manor, and the 700-acre farm that surrounds it, is an example of a self-contained Jesuit community. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Looking Through Headstones Toward St. Ignatius Church
View from St. Ignatius, Chapel Point
8855 Chapel Point Road, Port Tobacco, MD, 20677
Phone: 301-934-8245 • http://www.chapelpoint.org
Founded in 1641 and located on a 120-foot bluff overlooking the confluence of the Potomac and Port Tobacco Rivers, St. Ignatius Church is the nation’s oldest active parish with a continual pastorate and located on the Religious Freedom Byway National Scenic Byway.
14590 Solomons Island Road South, Solomons
Phone: 410-326-4948 • www.middlehamandstpeters.org
25 Church Street, Prince Frederick
Phone: 410-535-2897 • www.stpaulspf.org
Constructed in 1841.