38370 Point Breeze Road, Colton’s Point, MD20626
Phone: 301-769-2222 • www.stmarysmd.com/recreate/museums
The museum’s exhibits and new orientation film trace the history of St. Clement’s Island and the English colonization in Maryland with emphasis on the landing of the first 140 colonists on near-by St. Clements Island in 1634. The museum also holds artifacts that tell the story of life on the Potomac River in earlier times. On the grounds is a 19th-century one-room school used until the 1960s and relocated from nearby Charlotte Hall. Maryland Civil War Trails Site. The museum has a pier and docking facilities, and offers seasonal water taxi service to the island, weather permitting. Also visit the reconstructed Blackistone Lighthouse on St. Clements Island. Group and student tours available. Call for dates of water taxi service and Blackistone Lighthouse tours.
11175 Point Lookout Road, Scotland, MD 20687
Located at the tip of St. Mary’s County at the confluence of the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay, Point Lookout served as a watch post during the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. During the Civil War, it served as a Union hospital and a prison camp for captured confederate soldiers. There are 143 wooded campsites available; 26 of these have full hook-ups. 31 of these have electric. One campsite for youth groups is also available; reservations are required for the youth group site by calling the park. The park features three fishing areas available 24 hours, including a 710 foot pier (24 hour operation May 1-November 30). A valid Chesapeake Bay Sport Fishing license and appropriate stamps are required. Swimming is available from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Lifeguards are on duty. The beach area has grills, picnic tables, and a playground. Facilities include showers and restrooms. A boat launch facility and fish-cleaning station are available for boaters. Boat rentals and supplies are also available at the camp store. The Civil War Museum/Nature Center is open seasonally. Park open daily dawn to dusk April – October and 10AM to 4PM, November – March. Call for museum hours. Point Lookout occasionally fills to capacity on summer weekends and holiday weekends. During these times you will not be able to enter the park, nor will you be able to drive through the park. You may call 301-872-5688 to check on our visitation volume, however we can make no guarantees that we will not be filled to capacity by the time you arrive.
At Sotterley Plantation
visitors can learn about one of the few original, restored slave cabins in Maryland.
is the sole surviving Tidewater plantation in Maryland that is fully interpreted and open to the public
44300 Sotterley Lane, Hollywood, MD 20636
Phone: 301-373-2280 • www.sotterley.org
Overlooking the scenic Patuxent River, the plantation encompasses nearly 100 acres of open fields, gardens, and shoreline. Sotterley Plantation is the sole surviving Tidewater plantation in Maryland that is fully interpreted and open to the public. Construction of the now rare “earth-fast” main dwelling began in the early 1700s. The house grew over time into a rambling residence featuring fine period woodwork. Highlights include the shell alcoves in the drawing room and the hall staircase. Over 20 outbuildings are part of the site’s 300 plus year evolution including a Customs Warehouse, Smoke House, and an original Slave Cabin dating to the 1830s. The site also features a museum shop and nature trails. Accessible by water, call for information.
44720 Lighthouse Road, Piney Point, MD 20674
Phone: 301-994-1471 • www.stmarysmd.com/recreate/museums
Climb the oldest lighthouse on the Potomac River, constructed in 1836. The site was once a summer resort for Washington dignitaries including several U.S. presidents. Today, a 6-acre park surrounds the lighthouse and keepers quarters with a picnic area, kayak launch, a boardwalk, pier and sandy beach. The museum details that site’s history and also includes artifacts from the WW II U-1105 Black Panther German submarine which lies just offshore in an area designated as the state’s first Historic Shipwreck Dive Preserve. A maritime exhibit of historic wooden boats that once plied the waters of the Chesapeake Bay is housed in a separate building. Accessible by water, call for information.
3725 Dr. Samuel Mudd Road, Waldorf, MD 20601
Phone: 301-274-9358 • http://drmudd.org
Featured on “Maryland Civil War Trails: Escape of an Assassin,” the house and farm commemorate the life of Dr. Samuel Mudd, the physician who treated the injured leg of John Wilkes Booth after he assassinated President Abraham Lincoln in April of 1865.