21250 Camp Cosoma Road, Callaway, MD 20620
Situated at the north end of the St. Mary’s River watershed, in the center of the county, the park consists of approximately 2,000 acres of land with a 250-acre fishing lake. The relatively flat landscape of St. Mary’s County is not usually thought of as mountain biking terrain; however, the nine-mile course encircling the 250-acre lake at St. Mary’s River State Park is a little known treasure. This course is also available for hiking.
This State Park
, accessible only by boat, offers visitors fishing, hiking trails, picnicking and tours of the recreated Blackistone Lighthouse.
38370 Point Breeze Road, Colton’s Point, MD 20626
Visit the site of Maryland’s birthplace. In 1634, English settlers landed here to establish a colony of religious freedom. Enjoy a hike around the 40 acre island, a relaxing picnic at the pavilion, and scenic views of the Potomac River. The Island also features the newly reconstructed Blackistone Lighthouse. Educational panels provide island history. St. Clements Island Museum is located nearby on the main shore. Pier and docking facilities are available. A seasonal water taxi to the island runs on select weekends from the museum.
25420 Rosedale Manor Lane, Hollywood, MD 20636
Phone: 301-872-5688 or 301-872-5389
Greenwell offers nearly 600 acres, 10 miles of trails, and 2 miles of waterfront along the Patuxent with an accessible 50 foot pier. Kayak/canoe launch sites, beach and picnic areas throughout. Wheelchair accessible facilities include the Pavilion and Knott Lodge (an overnight facility for up to 16 guests). Historic Rosedale Manor, the Chapel and gardens can be reserved for weddings and special events. Horseback riding programs, summer camps and special events are offered.
Built in 1884, the Queen Anne style house at Summerseat Farm Summerseat Farm
is surrounded by mature gardens.
The goats at Summerseat Farm
are just as curious about you as you are about them.
26655 Three Notch Road, Mechanicsville, MD 20659
Phone: 301-373-6607 • www.summerseat.org
With a history dating back to the late 17th century, Summerseat is a 120-acre working farm with a Queen-Anne style house, outbuildings including meat and dairy houses, barns and gardens. Summerseat breeds the only publicly accessible herd of American Buffalo in the region. The farm has other animals, a vineyard and trails including a Bluebird trail. Tables and a gazebo are available for picnickers. Check the website for special programs, events, and facilities rental information.
44720 Lighthouse Road, Piney Point, MD 20674
Phone: 301-994-1471 • www.stmarysmd.com/recreate/museums
Climb the oldest lighthouse on the Potomac River, constructed in 1836. The site was once a summer resort for Washington dignitaries including several U.S. presidents. Today, a 6-acre park surrounds the lighthouse and keepers quarters with a picnic area, kayak launch, a boardwalk, pier and sandy beach. The museum details that site’s history and also includes artifacts from the WW II U-1105 Black Panther German submarine which lies just offshore in an area designated as the state’s first Historic Shipwreck Dive Preserve. A maritime exhibit of historic wooden boats that once plied the waters of the Chesapeake Bay is housed in a separate building. Accessible by water, call for information.
Special events, like Woodland Indian Discovery Day, bring focus to different aspects of life in early Maryland at Historic St. Mary’s City
Light shines through the windows of the reconstructed Chapel of 1667.
18751 Hogaboom Lane, St. Mary’s City, MD 20686
Phone: 240-895-4990 • http://www.hsmcdigshistory.org
Historic St. Mary’s City is an outdoor museum located on the site of Maryland’s first colony and first capital. The museum protects one of the nation’s finest colonial archaeology sites. Decades of research are the foundation of living history exhibits assembled across the landscape. Highlights include the Town Center, where visitors may tour Smith’s Ordinary, a 17th-century forbearer of the modern hotel, and the Print House, where they will hear the story of the first printer south of Boston. Nearby, the Woodland Indian Hamlet details the lives of the Yaocomaco Indians who assisted the first colonists. The Godiah Spray Tobacco Plantation is a working farm with first-person interpreters and heirloom livestock. The Maryland Dove, a working representation of the square-rigged vessel that carried Lord Baltimore’s original expedition to Maryland is moored on the St. Mary’s River, which appears much as it was 375 years ago. Discover Maryland’s legacy of liberty at the Brick Chapel, a symbol of the colony’s early practice of religious toleration, and the St. John’s Site Museum, which encloses the excavation of the house where the state’s first legislators met. There is also a Visitor Center with exhibits, a museum shop, and a network of trails. Accessible by water, call for information.
15884 Wilson Road, Newburg, MD 20664
Phone: 301-932-3470 • www.charlescountyparks.com
Scenic view of Potomac River, a playground, picnic areas, ball fields, tennis courts, basketball court and fishing pier.
13140 Charles Street, Charlotte Hall, MD 20622
Phone: 301-932-1083 • 301-932-3470
Open seasonally. Within this scenic wooded parkland are hiking and nature trails, picnic areas (grills and tables), picnic pavilions, playground areas, fishing piers, and a boat ramp (electric motors only, please). The main attraction is a 60 acre fresh water lake which affords fishing, pedal boating, rowboating and canoeing. Fishermen are able to catch bass, bluegill, trout and catfish. Fishing supplies, fishing licenses and concessions are available. Gilbert Run Park is located 8 miles east of La Plata on Route 6.
4510 Matoaka Ln. • PO Box 124, St. Leonard
Rustic cabins on Chesapeake Bayfront. Swim, fish, crab, fossil hunt, picnic and birdwatch. Sandy beach. Fossil hunting year round.
1450 Dares Beach Rd., Prince Frederick 20678
Built in the early 1880s, the school is the oldest standing one-room schoolhouse for African American students in Calvert County. Offering education for grades 1 through 7, it was built in the early 1880s and remained in use until 1934. Located on the grounds of Calvert Elementary School.