This State Park
, accessible only by boat, offers visitors fishing, hiking trails, picnicking and tours of the recreated Blackistone Lighthouse.
38370 Point Breeze Road, Colton’s Point, MD 20626
Visit the site of Maryland’s birthplace. In 1634, English settlers landed here to establish a colony of religious freedom. Enjoy a hike around the 40 acre island, a relaxing picnic at the pavilion, and scenic views of the Potomac River. The Island also features the newly reconstructed Blackistone Lighthouse. Educational panels provide island history. St. Clements Island Museum is located nearby on the main shore. Pier and docking facilities are available. A seasonal water taxi to the island runs on select weekends from the museum.
38370 Point Breeze Road, Colton’s Point, MD20626
Phone: 301-769-2222 • www.stmarysmd.com/recreate/museums
The museum’s exhibits and new orientation film trace the history of St. Clement’s Island and the English colonization in Maryland with emphasis on the landing of the first 140 colonists on near-by St. Clements Island in 1634. The museum also holds artifacts that tell the story of life on the Potomac River in earlier times. On the grounds is a 19th-century one-room school used until the 1960s and relocated from nearby Charlotte Hall. Maryland Civil War Trails Site. The museum has a pier and docking facilities, and offers seasonal water taxi service to the island, weather permitting. Also visit the reconstructed Blackistone Lighthouse on St. Clements Island. Group and student tours available. Call for dates of water taxi service and Blackistone Lighthouse tours.
11175 Point Lookout Road, Scotland, MD 20687
Located at the tip of St. Mary’s County at the confluence of the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay, Point Lookout served as a watch post during the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. During the Civil War, it served as a Union hospital and a prison camp for captured confederate soldiers. There are 143 wooded campsites available; 26 of these have full hook-ups. 31 of these have electric. One campsite for youth groups is also available; reservations are required for the youth group site by calling the park. The park features three fishing areas available 24 hours, including a 710 foot pier (24 hour operation May 1-November 30). A valid Chesapeake Bay Sport Fishing license and appropriate stamps are required. Swimming is available from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Lifeguards are on duty. The beach area has grills, picnic tables, and a playground. Facilities include showers and restrooms. A boat launch facility and fish-cleaning station are available for boaters. Boat rentals and supplies are also available at the camp store. The Civil War Museum/Nature Center is open seasonally. Park open daily dawn to dusk April – October and 10AM to 4PM, November – March. Call for museum hours. Point Lookout occasionally fills to capacity on summer weekends and holiday weekends. During these times you will not be able to enter the park, nor will you be able to drive through the park. You may call 301-872-5688 to check on our visitation volume, however we can make no guarantees that we will not be filled to capacity by the time you arrive.
Newtown Neck Road, Compton, MD 20627
Cradled by Breton Bay, the Potomac River and St. Clements Bay, this 776-acre property of woodlands, wetlands and agricultural fields recently purchased by the State of Maryland offers low impact recreational opportunities such as biking, walking, birding and fishing. Capt. John Smith explored the waters surrounding the property in 1608. Newtowne was the first settlement in the Maryland province after St. Mary’s City. Its geographic location places it within view of St. Clement’s Island where the English colonists first landed in 1634. Prior to its settlement by the colonists, the Piscataway Indians and their forebears had occupied the site for many centuries. The park is open daily dawn to dusk. Check website for park opening dates.
Smallwood State Park, Marbury
Located just one mile from the main stem of the Potomac River, Sweden Point hosts many bass tournaments. The marina has six boat ramps and piers to facilate launching. Many park amenities are available. Take Route 301 to Route 225 West in La Plata and left onto Route 224 and follow signs to the parks. From Route 210, take Route 225 East in Indian Head to right onto Route 224 and follow signs to the park.
16320 Cobb Island Rd, Cobb Island, MD 20625
Shymansky’s has a single ramp located in quiet waters near Cobb Island with easy access to the Wicomico and Potomac Rivers. To reach from Route 301, travel East on Route 257 (Rock Point Rd) to Route 254 (Cobb Island Rd). Follow Route 254 to Shymansky’s, on the left just before the bridge. Boat Ramp and restaurant
9365 Goose Bay Lane, Welcome, MD 20693
Phone: 301-934-3812 • www.goosebaymarina.com
Located in a sheltered bay, Goose Bay is a privately owned, full service marina and campground located on the Port Tobacco River at the confluence with the Potomac River. It has three boat ramps for launching, as well as a ships store and restrooms. Launching fee and parking fee for additional vehicle. Take Route 6 West from La Plata for approximately seven miles. Turn left onto Blossom Point Road and follow the signs (beware of the many speed bumps.)
9700 Orland Park Rd, Newburg, 20664
Marina Phone: 301-259-0572
Campground Phone: 301-259-2575
Adjacent to the Harry Nice Bridge, this marina sits in a central location to some of the best rock fishing in the state with excellent large-mouth bass fishing a short distance upstream. There is a single concrete ramp, as well as a protected marina with a ships store and gas pumps. The ships store is an official checking station for stripers, and has fishing tackle and accessories for anglers.
15884 Wilson Road, Newburg, MD 20664
Phone: 301-932-3470 • www.charlescountyparks.com
Scenic view of Potomac River, a playground, picnic areas, ball fields, tennis courts, basketball court and fishing pier.
2750 Sweden Point Road, Marbury, MD 20658
Phone: 301-743-7613 • www.dnr.state.md.us
Located on a Potomac River tributary, the 628-acre park features a marina, boat launch, camping, tournament level bass fishing, the Mattawoman Creek Art Center and Smallwood’s Retreat, home of Revolutionary War General William Smallwood.