From quick bites to more lavish affairs, there are lots of opportunities to explore Southern Maryland’s unique culinary offerings.
Calvert County‘s rich agricultural heritage and the bounty of its waterways are reflected in the area’s eclectic dining options. http://choosecalvert.com/index.aspx?NID=94
St. Mary’s County
St. Mary’s County has lots of great places to eat from seafood dives to sidewalk cafes to white table cloth establishments. Our local hang-outs are authentically local and our waterfront eateries offer some amazing views. https://www.visitstmarysmd.com/dining/
Exploring a trail like the Three Notch Trail
is a great way for families to enjoy the outdoors.
The Three Notch Trail
is a non-motorized pedestrian and bicycle trail being constructed on an old railroad right-of-way in St. Mary’s County.
Dedicated in honor of former St. Mary’s County Recreation and Parks Director, John V. Baggett, the park at Laurel Grove is a trail head on the Three Notch Trail
The Three Notch Trail is a ten ft. wide, asphalt multi use trail is being constructed along the 28-mile County railroad right of way which runs south from Hughesville (in Charles County) to Lexington Park (to the Patuxent River Naval Air Station). The trail, in northern St. Mary’s County, provides recreational, tourism and transportation opportunities and will promote the health and wellness benefits of hiking and biking.
Phase one begins at Route 236 in New Market and proceeds north to just beyond the County line, for a distance of about 2.25 miles. Also, Phase five of the trail is now open, running from John Baggett Park in Laurel Grove to MD 5 in Mechanicsville.
Other phases of the trail are planned for construction and opening in the near future.
21250 Camp Cosoma Road, Callaway, MD 20620
Situated at the north end of the St. Mary’s River watershed, in the center of the county, the park consists of approximately 2,000 acres of land with a 250-acre fishing lake. The relatively flat landscape of St. Mary’s County is not usually thought of as mountain biking terrain; however, the nine-mile course encircling the 250-acre lake at St. Mary’s River State Park is a little known treasure. This course is also available for hiking.
This State Park
, accessible only by boat, offers visitors fishing, hiking trails, picnicking and tours of the recreated Blackistone Lighthouse.
38370 Point Breeze Road, Colton’s Point, MD 20626
Visit the site of Maryland’s birthplace. In 1634, English settlers landed here to establish a colony of religious freedom. Enjoy a hike around the 40 acre island, a relaxing picnic at the pavilion, and scenic views of the Potomac River. The Island also features the newly reconstructed Blackistone Lighthouse. Educational panels provide island history. St. Clements Island Museum is located nearby on the main shore. Pier and docking facilities are available. A seasonal water taxi to the island runs on select weekends from the museum.
38370 Point Breeze Road, Colton’s Point, MD20626
Phone: 301-769-2222 • www.stmarysmd.com/recreate/museums
The museum’s exhibits and new orientation film trace the history of St. Clement’s Island and the English colonization in Maryland with emphasis on the landing of the first 140 colonists on near-by St. Clements Island in 1634. The museum also holds artifacts that tell the story of life on the Potomac River in earlier times. On the grounds is a 19th-century one-room school used until the 1960s and relocated from nearby Charlotte Hall. Maryland Civil War Trails Site. The museum has a pier and docking facilities, and offers seasonal water taxi service to the island, weather permitting. Also visit the reconstructed Blackistone Lighthouse on St. Clements Island. Group and student tours available. Call for dates of water taxi service and Blackistone Lighthouse tours.
11175 Point Lookout Road, Scotland, MD 20687
Located at the tip of St. Mary’s County at the confluence of the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay, Point Lookout served as a watch post during the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. During the Civil War, it served as a Union hospital and a prison camp for captured confederate soldiers. There are 143 wooded campsites available; 26 of these have full hook-ups. 31 of these have electric. One campsite for youth groups is also available; reservations are required for the youth group site by calling the park. The park features three fishing areas available 24 hours, including a 710 foot pier (24 hour operation May 1-November 30). A valid Chesapeake Bay Sport Fishing license and appropriate stamps are required. Swimming is available from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Lifeguards are on duty. The beach area has grills, picnic tables, and a playground. Facilities include showers and restrooms. A boat launch facility and fish-cleaning station are available for boaters. Boat rentals and supplies are also available at the camp store. The Civil War Museum/Nature Center is open seasonally. Park open daily dawn to dusk April – October and 10AM to 4PM, November – March. Call for museum hours. Point Lookout occasionally fills to capacity on summer weekends and holiday weekends. During these times you will not be able to enter the park, nor will you be able to drive through the park. You may call 301-872-5688 to check on our visitation volume, however we can make no guarantees that we will not be filled to capacity by the time you arrive.
Newtown Neck Road, Compton, MD 20627
Cradled by Breton Bay, the Potomac River and St. Clements Bay, this 776-acre property of woodlands, wetlands and agricultural fields recently purchased by the State of Maryland offers low impact recreational opportunities such as biking, walking, birding and fishing. Capt. John Smith explored the waters surrounding the property in 1608. Newtowne was the first settlement in the Maryland province after St. Mary’s City. Its geographic location places it within view of St. Clement’s Island where the English colonists first landed in 1634. Prior to its settlement by the colonists, the Piscataway Indians and their forebears had occupied the site for many centuries. The park is open daily dawn to dusk. Check website for park opening dates.
25420 Rosedale Manor Lane, Hollywood, MD 20636
Phone: 301-872-5688 or 301-872-5389
Greenwell offers nearly 600 acres, 10 miles of trails, and 2 miles of waterfront along the Patuxent with an accessible 50 foot pier. Kayak/canoe launch sites, beach and picnic areas throughout. Wheelchair accessible facilities include the Pavilion and Knott Lodge (an overnight facility for up to 16 guests). Historic Rosedale Manor, the Chapel and gardens can be reserved for weddings and special events. Horseback riding programs, summer camps and special events are offered.
41680 Tudor Place, Leonardtown, MD 20650
Phone: 301-475-2467 • www.stmaryshistory.org
Tudor Hall was originally built in 1744 and was enlarged in the 1760s. This Georgian-style house became the home of Phillip Key, uncle of Francis Scott Key, author of the Star Spangled Banner. Unusual features of the house are the inset portico, the main hall’s hanging staircase, and a “triple fireplace” in the kitchen. Maryland War of 1812 Site. Tudor Hall serves as the research library for the St. Mary’s County Historical Society and also houses the Historical Society’s bookstore with books on genealogy, and local and regional history.
Built in 1884, the Queen Anne style house at Summerseat Farm Summerseat Farm
is surrounded by mature gardens.
The goats at Summerseat Farm
are just as curious about you as you are about them.
26655 Three Notch Road, Mechanicsville, MD 20659
Phone: 301-373-6607 • www.summerseat.org
With a history dating back to the late 17th century, Summerseat is a 120-acre working farm with a Queen-Anne style house, outbuildings including meat and dairy houses, barns and gardens. Summerseat breeds the only publicly accessible herd of American Buffalo in the region. The farm has other animals, a vineyard and trails including a Bluebird trail. Tables and a gazebo are available for picnickers. Check the website for special programs, events, and facilities rental information.