During the War of 1812, the British vandalized the village of Chaptico, doing extensive damage to Christ Church
and desecrating its cemetery.
Christ Episcopal Church
was built in 1736 at the former port village of Chaptico near the Wicomico River, a tributary of the Potomac River in St. Mary’s County.
The lovely stained glass windows in Christ Episcopal Church
were installed during the late 19th and early 20th century by parishioners to honor their deceased loved ones.
23590 Maddox Road, Chaptico, MD 20621
Phone: 301-884-3451 • http://www.cckqp.net/
Built of red brick with Flemish bond and glazed headers, significant interior features include a semi-circular chancel, arched ceiling, crowned columns, and boxed pews. During the War of 1812, the British vandalized the village of Chaptico, doing extensive damage to Christ Church and desecrating its cemetery. Several members of the Francis Scott Key family are buried in the Key Family vault. The church is on the National Register of Historic Places.
This State Park
, accessible only by boat, offers visitors fishing, hiking trails, picnicking and tours of the recreated Blackistone Lighthouse.
38370 Point Breeze Road, Colton’s Point, MD 20626
Visit the site of Maryland’s birthplace. In 1634, English settlers landed here to establish a colony of religious freedom. Enjoy a hike around the 40 acre island, a relaxing picnic at the pavilion, and scenic views of the Potomac River. The Island also features the newly reconstructed Blackistone Lighthouse. Educational panels provide island history. St. Clements Island Museum is located nearby on the main shore. Pier and docking facilities are available. A seasonal water taxi to the island runs on select weekends from the museum.
38370 Point Breeze Road, Colton’s Point, MD20626
Phone: 301-769-2222 • www.stmarysmd.com/recreate/museums
The museum’s exhibits and new orientation film trace the history of St. Clement’s Island and the English colonization in Maryland with emphasis on the landing of the first 140 colonists on near-by St. Clements Island in 1634. The museum also holds artifacts that tell the story of life on the Potomac River in earlier times. On the grounds is a 19th-century one-room school used until the 1960s and relocated from nearby Charlotte Hall. Maryland Civil War Trails Site. The museum has a pier and docking facilities, and offers seasonal water taxi service to the island, weather permitting. Also visit the reconstructed Blackistone Lighthouse on St. Clements Island. Group and student tours available. Call for dates of water taxi service and Blackistone Lighthouse tours.
11175 Point Lookout Road, Scotland, MD 20687
Located at the tip of St. Mary’s County at the confluence of the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay, Point Lookout served as a watch post during the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. During the Civil War, it served as a Union hospital and a prison camp for captured confederate soldiers. There are 143 wooded campsites available; 26 of these have full hook-ups. 31 of these have electric. One campsite for youth groups is also available; reservations are required for the youth group site by calling the park. The park features three fishing areas available 24 hours, including a 710 foot pier (24 hour operation May 1-November 30). A valid Chesapeake Bay Sport Fishing license and appropriate stamps are required. Swimming is available from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Lifeguards are on duty. The beach area has grills, picnic tables, and a playground. Facilities include showers and restrooms. A boat launch facility and fish-cleaning station are available for boaters. Boat rentals and supplies are also available at the camp store. The Civil War Museum/Nature Center is open seasonally. Park open daily dawn to dusk April – October and 10AM to 4PM, November – March. Call for museum hours. Point Lookout occasionally fills to capacity on summer weekends and holiday weekends. During these times you will not be able to enter the park, nor will you be able to drive through the park. You may call 301-872-5688 to check on our visitation volume, however we can make no guarantees that we will not be filled to capacity by the time you arrive.
41680 Tudor Place, Leonardtown, MD 20650
Phone: 301-475-2467 • www.stmaryshistory.org
Tudor Hall was originally built in 1744 and was enlarged in the 1760s. This Georgian-style house became the home of Phillip Key, uncle of Francis Scott Key, author of the Star Spangled Banner. Unusual features of the house are the inset portico, the main hall’s hanging staircase, and a “triple fireplace” in the kitchen. Maryland War of 1812 Site. Tudor Hall serves as the research library for the St. Mary’s County Historical Society and also houses the Historical Society’s bookstore with books on genealogy, and local and regional history.
At Sotterley Plantation
visitors can learn about one of the few original, restored slave cabins in Maryland.
is the sole surviving Tidewater plantation in Maryland that is fully interpreted and open to the public
44300 Sotterley Lane, Hollywood, MD 20636
Phone: 301-373-2280 • www.sotterley.org
Overlooking the scenic Patuxent River, the plantation encompasses nearly 100 acres of open fields, gardens, and shoreline. Sotterley Plantation is the sole surviving Tidewater plantation in Maryland that is fully interpreted and open to the public. Construction of the now rare “earth-fast” main dwelling began in the early 1700s. The house grew over time into a rambling residence featuring fine period woodwork. Highlights include the shell alcoves in the drawing room and the hall staircase. Over 20 outbuildings are part of the site’s 300 plus year evolution including a Customs Warehouse, Smoke House, and an original Slave Cabin dating to the 1830s. The site also features a museum shop and nature trails. Accessible by water, call for information.
44720 Lighthouse Road, Piney Point, MD 20674
Phone: 301-994-1471 • www.stmarysmd.com/recreate/museums
Climb the oldest lighthouse on the Potomac River, constructed in 1836. The site was once a summer resort for Washington dignitaries including several U.S. presidents. Today, a 6-acre park surrounds the lighthouse and keepers quarters with a picnic area, kayak launch, a boardwalk, pier and sandy beach. The museum details that site’s history and also includes artifacts from the WW II U-1105 Black Panther German submarine which lies just offshore in an area designated as the state’s first Historic Shipwreck Dive Preserve. A maritime exhibit of historic wooden boats that once plied the waters of the Chesapeake Bay is housed in a separate building. Accessible by water, call for information.
Chapel Point Road, Port Tobacco, 20677
This little out of the way ramp has a very scenic setting and is ideal for car toppers, canoes or kayaks– no trailered boats allowed. Located on the beautiful and historic Port Tobacco River, the ramp is simply a low spot in the shoreline with a sand and gravel launch. No launch fee, parking is limited, gravel road to ramp. Route 301 to La Plata, take Route 6 West (Port Tobacco Road) left yield onto Chapel Point Road. Follow Chapel Point Road to park entrance on right (gravel road) and follow signs to the ramp.
6655 Rose Hill Road, Port Tobacco, MD 20677
Phone: 301-392-1776 • www.nps.gov/thst
Front of Haberdeventure
This site features Haberdeventure, the NPS-operated home of five generations of the Stone family, including Thomas Stone, one of Maryland’s signers of the Declaration of Independence. The site includes a visitor center and family cemetery.
Looking Through Headstones Toward St. Ignatius Church
View from St. Ignatius, Chapel Point
8855 Chapel Point Road, Port Tobacco, MD, 20677
Phone: 301-934-8245 • http://www.chapelpoint.org
Founded in 1641 and located on a 120-foot bluff overlooking the confluence of the Potomac and Port Tobacco Rivers, St. Ignatius Church is the nation’s oldest active parish with a continual pastorate and located on the Religious Freedom Byway National Scenic Byway.