This State Park
, accessible only by boat, offers visitors fishing, hiking trails, picnicking and tours of the recreated Blackistone Lighthouse.
38370 Point Breeze Road, Colton’s Point, MD 20626
Visit the site of Maryland’s birthplace. In 1634, English settlers landed here to establish a colony of religious freedom. Enjoy a hike around the 40 acre island, a relaxing picnic at the pavilion, and scenic views of the Potomac River. The Island also features the newly reconstructed Blackistone Lighthouse. Educational panels provide island history. St. Clements Island Museum is located nearby on the main shore. Pier and docking facilities are available. A seasonal water taxi to the island runs on select weekends from the museum.
38370 Point Breeze Road, Colton’s Point, MD20626
Phone: 301-769-2222 • www.stmarysmd.com/recreate/museums
The museum’s exhibits and new orientation film trace the history of St. Clement’s Island and the English colonization in Maryland with emphasis on the landing of the first 140 colonists on near-by St. Clements Island in 1634. The museum also holds artifacts that tell the story of life on the Potomac River in earlier times. On the grounds is a 19th-century one-room school used until the 1960s and relocated from nearby Charlotte Hall. Maryland Civil War Trails Site. The museum has a pier and docking facilities, and offers seasonal water taxi service to the island, weather permitting. Also visit the reconstructed Blackistone Lighthouse on St. Clements Island. Group and student tours available. Call for dates of water taxi service and Blackistone Lighthouse tours.
Cove Point is a beautiful site on the Chesapeake Bay where one can look back at the Calvert Cliffs and see across to the Eastern Shore. The keeper’s house is open as a vacation rental.
3500 Lighthouse Blvd., Lusby 20657
Cove Point Lighthouse is owned and operated by the Calvert Marine Museum
Tour history at the oldest continuously working lighthouse in Maryland. Built in 1828 by John Donahoo, the 40-foot brick tower is surmounted by an iron lantern containing a lens manufactured in Paris in 1897. Buildings at the Cove Point station include a 1901 fog signal building, a brick generator/fog signal building, green keeper’s home and a two-bedroom cottage. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Limited access for wheelchairs.
Three-, four- or seven-night rentals available in this beautifully renovated private bayfront site. Custom kitchens and all the conveniences of home. Wi-Fi included. Also available as a wedding/event site.