44720 Lighthouse Road, Piney Point, MD 20674
Phone: 301-994-1471 • www.stmarysmd.com/recreate/museums
Climb the oldest lighthouse on the Potomac River, constructed in 1836. The site was once a summer resort for Washington dignitaries including several U.S. presidents. Today, a 6-acre park surrounds the lighthouse and keepers quarters with a picnic area, kayak launch, a boardwalk, pier and sandy beach. The museum details that site’s history and also includes artifacts from the WW II U-1105 Black Panther German submarine which lies just offshore in an area designated as the state’s first Historic Shipwreck Dive Preserve. A maritime exhibit of historic wooden boats that once plied the waters of the Chesapeake Bay is housed in a separate building. Accessible by water, call for information.