All posts by Destination Southern Maryland

New Executive Director Sought for Heritage Area

SMHA logo

The Southern Maryland Heritage Area Consortium (SMHAC) seeks a new Executive Director to provide advanced management level executive function to SMHAC and assures administration of the Southern Maryland Heritage Area Management Plan and subsequent Five Year Strategic Plan, in accordance with SMHAC’s vision.  The Executive Director operates under the general direction of the Board of Directors and reports directly to the Board President and works in cooperation with the Tri-County Council.

Send cover letter and resume with references to: SoMdHeritage@tccsmd.org

Subject line MUST read: Director Application — No phone calls or drop-ins please.

Please ensure delivery of your application information by end of day, June 3, 2016.

Please see the attached PDF for more information

 The purpose of the SMHAC is to foster, promote and support all aspect of heritage tourism in the three county (Calvert, Charles and St. Mary’s counties) region defined as Southern Maryland.

2015 Mini-Grants Funded

Southern Maryland Heritage Area Consortium
Roz Racanello, Executive Director
PO Box 745, Hughesville, MD 20637
Phone: 301-274-4083, Fax: 301-274-1924
Email: SoMdHeritage@tccsmd.org

October 21, 2015

***PRESS RELEASE***

Small Grants for Tourism Projects Funded.

The Southern Maryland Heritage Area Consortium (SMHAC) announced today that twelve projects submitting Mini-Grant applications will receive funding.

These funds are made available to non-profits and government organizations inside the Heritage Area that seek to promote heritage tourism and economic development.  Heritage tourism is defined as traveling to experience the places that authentically represent the stories and people of the past and present – including historic, cultural and natural resources.

The projects receiving funding are:

Calvert County

Conservation of artifacts from the George Rice House at Biscoe Gray.   Working with the MAC Lab at Jefferson Patterson Park, the County will conserve objects found near this African American site on the Farm.  Once properly conserved, the artifacts, and any information they provide, can become part of an exhibit.

Arts Council of Calvert County – Barn Quilt Trail.  Calvert County will join a number of communities to use the sides of barns as canvases for quilt patterns.  They will begin by identifying one visible barn to paint and hold a ribbon cutting event in the Spring.

Calvert County Natural Resources – Natural Resources Brochure – printing.  A brochure was created and produced and now the Department wishes to use and promote the brochure more widely since it consolidates information about individual parks in a single source.

Bayside History Museum – Native American Day at the Beach exhibit. This will be part of an exhibit on the first floor of the museum, consisting of a canoe and artifacts from Colony Beach. A mural surrounding the dugout canoe (donated to the museum) will be created using the funds.

American Chestnut Land Trust – New Interpretive Signs on Turkey Trail. This Trail is the most popular hiking trail in the ACLT lands, and they will add to the hikers experience by interpreting the natural world around them. Highlighting conservation issues as well as flora and fauna the signs will include an introduction to the protection efforts of the ACLT.

Charles County

Historical Society of Charles County – Holiday Trail 2015.  This relatively new event will increase from 11 sites to 18 this year with the addition of a number of historic sites in the County.  The funds would help produce brochures, postcards and banners to promote the expanded Trail.

Maryland Veterans Memorial Museum – Exhibit for Washington/Rochambeau Trail.  The Museum is on this historically significant trail.  The trail route is a long series of roads used by the Continental Army under Gen. Washington’s command as well as Jean-Baptiste Rochambeau during the 1781 march from Rhode Island to Virginia.  The Museum will construct a series of exhibits relating to the route.

Friends of Chapman Forest – Historic Interpretive Posters – Preservation Study. The goal is to expand on the Preservation Study at Mt. Aventine completed in spring of 2015, and to duplicate key documented findings on large interpretive “posters” to display in the mansion. The posters would be on easels on both stories in the west wing.

Farm Heritage Conservancy – Serenity Farm Slave Grave Project. This new project will produce a short documentary titled: “Remembered by the Wind: The Slave Graves of Serenity Farm.” To be shot in HD video and provided to public television and other platforms, the film will tell the story of the uncovering of the burial ground.

St. Mary’s County

Unified Committee for Afro American Contributions (UCAC) – How Women Got the Right to Vote.   An exhibit detailing women’s suffrage in the US based on election day 1920, as millions of women exercised their right to vote for the first time after the passage of the 19th Amendment.  The exhibit will be displayed at the US Colored Troop Memorial Interpretive Center.

Point Lookout State Park – Photo Tour Book of the Park.  This book will be a walking tour guide with historical and educational significance.  There will be a trail of sequentially numbered stops, (17 have been identified,) and each will be depicted and described in the booklet.

Greenwell State Park – Explore Greenwell.  This project will create brochures that focus on the park’s history, environment, natural resources and tourism products, including information about Rosedale Manor.  The goal is to increase tours of all aspects of the park.

All those who wish to learn more about membership or future grant offerings should contact the Consortium by email, SoMdHeritage@tccsmd.org or by phone at 301-274-4083.
Additional information about the Southern Maryland Heritage Area is available on the web at: www.DestinationSouthernMaryland.com.

The mission of the Southern Maryland Heritage Area Consortium (SMHAC) is to enhance the economic activity of Southern Maryland through combining quality heritage tourism and small business development with preservation, cultural and natural resource conservation and education. The SMHAC receives support from the three county Boards of Commissioners, the MHAA, the Tri-County Council for Southern MD and private contributions.

*********************************************************

St. Mary’s Chapel

12960 Point Lookout Road, Ridge, MD 20680

In 1884, Trinity Church, located in St. Mary’s City, sold a portion of its land to the State and used some of the proceeds to establish a chapel of ease in Ridge for its members who had to travel long distances to services.  The stained glass windows installed in 2002 were designed in a “Victorian/Art Nouveau” style.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Trinity Episcopal Church

16855 Point Lookout Road, St. Mary’s City, MD 20686
Phone: 301-862-4597  •  http://www.trinitysmcmd.com/

Originally established in 1638, the first Trinity Church was a wooden structure located on Smith Creek.  In 1642, it was moved to St. Mary’s City and in 1694, when the state capital was moved from St. Mary’s City to Annapolis, the local State House served as the church for 134 years.  The present-day church was constructed in 1829 using brick salvaged from the original 1676 State House.   Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

St. Ignatius Catholic Church, St. Inigoes

17682 Grayson Road, St. Inigoes, MD 20684
Phone: 301-862-4600

The first chapel of St. Ignatius was built in 1641 in St. Mary’s City.  In 1704, the colony’s early policies of religious toleration were abolished and the chapel was closed.  The church was dismantled and the bricks taken down river to land owned by the Jesuits.  After the American Revolution, in 1785, the present day St. Ignatius Church was built.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

St. Andrews Episcopal Church

44078 St. Andrews Church Road, California, MD 20619
Phone: 301-862-2247  •  http://www.standrewsleonardtown.org/

Built in 1767, the church was designed by William Boulton who crafted the woodwork at nearby Sotterley Plantation.  It is an outstanding example of colonial architecture.  The church’s brick exterior has an unusual inset portico, a large Palladian window, and two towers.   The interior features balconies, and original box pews.  A hand-lettered altarpiece, or reredos, was painted in 1771, and is one of three surviving in the country.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.