Category Archives: Museums and Historic Sites

St. Mary’s Chapel

12960 Point Lookout Road, Ridge, MD 20680

In 1884, Trinity Church, located in St. Mary’s City, sold a portion of its land to the State and used some of the proceeds to establish a chapel of ease in Ridge for its members who had to travel long distances to services.  The stained glass windows installed in 2002 were designed in a “Victorian/Art Nouveau” style.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Advertisements

Trinity Episcopal Church

16855 Point Lookout Road, St. Mary’s City, MD 20686
Phone: 301-862-4597  •  http://www.trinitysmcmd.com/

Originally established in 1638, the first Trinity Church was a wooden structure located on Smith Creek.  In 1642, it was moved to St. Mary’s City and in 1694, when the state capital was moved from St. Mary’s City to Annapolis, the local State House served as the church for 134 years.  The present-day church was constructed in 1829 using brick salvaged from the original 1676 State House.   Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

St. Ignatius Catholic Church, St. Inigoes

17682 Grayson Road, St. Inigoes, MD 20684
Phone: 301-862-4600

The first chapel of St. Ignatius was built in 1641 in St. Mary’s City.  In 1704, the colony’s early policies of religious toleration were abolished and the chapel was closed.  The church was dismantled and the bricks taken down river to land owned by the Jesuits.  After the American Revolution, in 1785, the present day St. Ignatius Church was built.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

St. Andrews Episcopal Church

44078 St. Andrews Church Road, California, MD 20619
Phone: 301-862-2247  •  http://www.standrewsleonardtown.org/

Built in 1767, the church was designed by William Boulton who crafted the woodwork at nearby Sotterley Plantation.  It is an outstanding example of colonial architecture.  The church’s brick exterior has an unusual inset portico, a large Palladian window, and two towers.   The interior features balconies, and original box pews.  A hand-lettered altarpiece, or reredos, was painted in 1771, and is one of three surviving in the country.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Christ Episcopal Church, Chaptico

23590 Maddox Road, Chaptico, MD 20621
Phone: 301-884-3451  •  http://www.cckqp.net/

Built of red brick with Flemish bond and glazed headers, significant interior features include a semi-circular chancel, arched ceiling, crowned columns, and boxed pews.  During the War of 1812, the British vandalized the village of Chaptico, doing extensive damage to Christ Church and desecrating its cemetery.  Several members of the Francis Scott Key family are buried in the Key Family vault.  The church is on the National Register of Historic Places.

St. George’s Episcopal Church

19167 Poplar Hill Lane, Valley Lee, MD, 20692
Phone: 301-994-0585  •  http://www.stgeorgesvalleylee.org/

The first wooden church was built here between 1638 and 1642.  The current church built in 1799, is home to the oldest Episcopal Parish in Maryland and has held continuous services on site since 1638.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church

21370 Newtowne Neck Road, Leonardtown, MD 20650
Phone: 301-475-9885 • http://www.stfrancisxavierchurch.org/

Built in 1731, St. Francis Xavier Church replaced the original Newtown Chapel (1662).  Unusual features include the barrel vault ceiling and two octagonal-shaped brick ends.  Also on site is Newtowne Manor (1789) whose Flemish bond brickwork indicates its early construction.  The church and manor, and the 700-acre farm that surrounds it, is an example of a self-contained Jesuit community.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

St. Clement’s Island State Park

38370 Point Breeze Road, Colton’s Point, MD 20626
Phone: 301-872-5688
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/southern/stclements.asp

Religious Freedom National Scenic Byway PHT logo CAJO-LOGO-high-res-jpeg Star-Spangled Banner NHT
MUTCD_RS-068_svg Hiking Trail MUTCD_RS-044_svg Picnic Site MUTCD_RS-114_svg Interpretive Trail

Visit the site of Maryland’s birthplace.  In 1634, English settlers landed here to establish a colony of religious freedom.  Enjoy a hike around the 40 acre island, a relaxing picnic at the pavilion, and scenic views of the Potomac River.  The Island also features the newly reconstructed Blackistone Lighthouse.  Educational panels provide island history.  St. Clements Island Museum is located nearby on the main shore.  Pier and docking facilities are available.  A seasonal water taxi to the island runs on select weekends from the museum.

St. Clement’s Island Museum

38370 Point Breeze Road, Colton’s Point, MD20626
Phone: 301-769-2222  •  www.stmarysmd.com/recreate/museums

Star-Spangled Banner NHT PHT logo
CAJO-LOGO-high-res-jpeg MD Civil War Trails logo
 MUTCD_RS-063_svg Fishing Area  MUTCD_D9-6_svg Handicapped

The museum’s exhibits and new orientation film trace the history of St. Clement’s Island and the English colonization in Maryland with emphasis on the landing of the first 140 colonists on near-by St. Clements Island in 1634.  The museum also holds artifacts that tell the story of life on the Potomac River in earlier times.  On the grounds is a 19th-century one-room school used until the 1960s and relocated from nearby Charlotte Hall.  Maryland Civil War Trails Site.  The museum has a pier and docking facilities, and offers seasonal water taxi service to the island, weather permitting.  Also visit the reconstructed Blackistone Lighthouse on St. Clements Island. Group and student tours available.  Call for dates of water taxi service and Blackistone Lighthouse tours.

Point Lookout State Park

11175 Point Lookout Road, Scotland, MD 20687
Phone: 301-872-5688
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/southern/pointlookout.asp

 PHT logo Star-Spangled Banner NHT
 CAJO-LOGO-high-res-jpeg  MD Civil War Trails logo  ChesBayGatewayIcon
MUTCD_RS-063_svg Fishing Area MUTCD_RS-068_svg Hiking Trail MUTCD_RS-044_svg Picnic Site MUTCD_RS-017_svg Pets on Leash MUTCD_D9-3_svg Camping mutcd_rs-054_svg-boat-ramp

Located at the tip of St. Mary’s County at the confluence of the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay, Point Lookout served as a watch post during the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.  During the Civil War, it served as a Union hospital and a prison camp for captured confederate soldiers.  There are 143 wooded campsites available; 26 of these have full hook-ups. 31 of these have electric.  One campsite for youth groups is also available; reservations are required for the youth group site by calling the park.  The park features three fishing areas available 24 hours, including a 710 foot pier (24 hour operation May 1-November 30). A valid Chesapeake Bay Sport Fishing license and appropriate stamps are required. Swimming is available from Memorial Day to Labor Day.  Lifeguards are on duty.  The beach area has grills, picnic tables, and a playground.   Facilities include showers and restrooms.  A boat launch facility and fish-cleaning station are available for boaters. Boat rentals and supplies are also available at the camp store.  The Civil War Museum/Nature Center is open seasonally.  Park open daily dawn to dusk April – October and 10AM to 4PM, November – March.  Call for museum hours.  Point Lookout occasionally fills to capacity on summer weekends and holiday weekends.  During these times you will not be able to enter the park, nor will you be able to drive through the park.  You may call 301-872-5688 to check on our visitation volume, however we can make no guarantees that we will not be filled to capacity by the time you arrive.